I chose to start this story from 2 months while bring in details from the past 80 years, but mostly past 20 years to fill in gaps here and there.
Two months ago I sat in my office with the congregations "Turn Around Team". This was a two member team - the third person asked to come of the team two weeks before due to language barriers (his native language is Thi) but my gut tells me that there was more to it.At this meeting two weeks late with me and the remaining two people on the team our goal for the meeting was to plan out a year long vision for the team. We just presented a set of Core Values for the congregation to the council. Well, actually, we presented the Core Values two months ago and the council had yet to discuss them - we found out they had been tabled for discussion yet again. Once the congregation started discussing the Core Values that the team took 8 months to gather information, lead conversations, lead a survey, and eventually write - then the team could begin using a common language within the congregation. The team could start using similar goals to being formulating a Mission Statement and eventually a Vision for the entire congregation. So, at this meeting we were going to talk about the next year for the team and how do we get feed back from the congregation on Core Values and begin moving in the direction of developing a Mission Statement (of course this is after the council decided to talk about the Core Values presented - or if they would ever get to them...)
The three of us, me and the two members of the team, sat on the couches in my office and I could feel thickness in the air. I could tell that the excitement in this ministry was running down. After opening with a word of prayer and going over the minutes from the last meeting we were about to jump into the agenda - but it felt like we just wanted to meet so we could tell people that we were doing our job. At this point I stopped and asked for us to evaluate where we are before we start talking about a vision. My goodness, this changed the conversation. I had just recently read a book called, "The Six Thinking Hats" that gave me an idea for how to lead the conversation. By the end of the conversation we had a list of 4 possibilities for the future of the congregation.
- Continue on the same path, transformation within - but what a stronger commitment from the congregation in backing this process.
- Begin building a "new congregation" alongside the current congregation. The team would no longer focus on making the current congregation happy and all their energy would be put into visitors and new members
- Do nothing. Stop trying revitalization and see where the congregation ends up.
- Close the congregation
Finally, the Bishop came to meet with the congregation. Really, it was only 6 weeks after the Turn Around Team started the conversation and 3 weeks after the congregation started the conversation, but it felt like forever. The Bishop did an amazing job at giving hope to the situation, helping us see the work of Christ in the situation but at the same time not holding back or mincing his words. At the end of the meeting he told the congregation that the synod is no longer recommending the congregation to move ahead with redevelopment. I will have a post that has an outline of the Bishops conversation listed soon - it really was a great message, but it was a shock to many of the people there.
This lead us to 6 days ago at the council meeting where the council decided to put on the ballot at the Annual Meeting of the Congregation at the end of October to dissolve the congregation. It was a hard conversation, and a hard motion to write and vote on.
We are now 5 weeks away from that meeting with 2 more council meets in between. I had a meeting with the Synod Staff to talk details and the council will meet with some of the staff in the next few weeks as well.
As I mentioned above, I will fill in gaps and give more details or post outlines of conversations to help congregations that are starting the process - or are toying with the idea of starting the conversation of closing a congregation. This is never an easy conversation to walk into. When I was in seminary I felt that God could do anything and there should never be a reason for a congregation to close. If the pastor had vision, if the people had trust in the Holy Spirit and if ministry was happening - then any congregation should be able to turn around and become a vital ministry once again. And, you know, I do still believe that - with all my heart. We do have an amazing God. I would not put it past God to work a miriacle here in my small little urban congregation over the next few months. And, I do believe that any congregation can find revitalization - if they start the work before the congregation is nothing more than a social club that worships on Sunday mornings. Once this happens, the reversal is a lot harder - still possible - but much harder and it will not happen in 1 year or even 3 years. I truly believe if we found a way to continue trying to transform the congregation within while building up a new ministry even this congregation could find new life in around 7 years. In this situation, new life will be found in new ministries started with the assets of this congregation, new church homes that the members will attend and find support and a renewed spirit, struggling congregations that will use this congregations holy things for their ministry and worship and so many other ways I cannot foresee now but will experience throughout this journey. After all, we are people of the resurrection. We know there is life after death.
No comments:
Post a Comment