Saturday, October 29, 2011

Voting members - what does this mean?

This week as I prepared for the annual meeting I had a lot of questions I normally would not have had if this were just a typical annual meeting. I was on the phone with the synod or consultants a bit this week trying to figure out order. I actually read Roberts Rules of Order- can you believe it. This should be mandatory reading in order to graduate from seminary...
One major question is: what is our quorum and who is considered a voting member? Well, this question is in practical ways an easy one to answer - just look at the congregations constitution. Our constitution says that a voting member is a person that has communed and had a recordable financial contribution in the past 2 years. Since we don't take communion cards and there is no way to prove if a person has done so, I asked the Stewardship Team to come up with a list of members that gave to the church this year or last year. There were 4 names that they questions taking communion (spouses or shut-ins) but since there is not record for proof we said that they all did. This list presented 57 voting members of the congregation. Our constitution says that there needs to be 10% of the members present at a called meeting to create a quorum. So, 6 people at a meeting is a quorum. Okay, this all makes sense on paper.
But, then you are dealing with a congregation that is hurting, feeling betrayed, anxious... and none of it is logical anymore. For years the congregation used an old, old, old voting membership number to create the quorum - 253 people or 25 people at a meeting to create a quorum. I don't know where this number came from but trying to clean it up for these next few meetings is not going to be easy.
The council understands and is willing to be stern with the voting member list. We are saying at the annual meeting, "if your name is not on the list and you feel it should be we can easily add it for the next meeting if you show us a canceled check that you had a recordable contribution over the past 2 years." Kind of hard balling it, I know, but we have to have some kind of guideline to base this off of.
I now know, in my next call I am dealing with the membership rolls in my first council meeting. It doesn't matter all that much when things are going okay - but when they are not, it really matters and by that time the congregation is not at a place to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment