Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Property Committee - Clearing Out the Building

The clean out of the church building has begun. This morning the property committee met for the first time. Their job is to clean out the building. They make decisions on what is junk and will be thrown away, what is given away, what is placed out for a silent auction and so on. They will take inventory on all items in the building and they will organize the silent auction.

I called the meeting but then I just let the team talk out all the details. I didn't think some of the decisions made sense or it would end up being more work than they realize. I shared once or twice that I did not want them to over extend themselves (like allow people to make request for items before the silent auction and they would keep a spread sheet of all requests). But, they thought it is doable. There are eight people on the team and the building is very large with 81 years worth of memories stuffed in every nook and cranny.

I told them that the team is on their own now. I said would come to meetings if they wanted me there and I would help out with clean out days if they felt they needed extra help - and I offered my husbands help too (although he doesn't really know). We are both over 6 feet tall and much younger than anyone in the congregation. We can reach high cabinets and we can move heavier objects around if need be. I also told the team that I wanted to be keep up with emails after each meeting so I can include updates in the Newsletter and so I can know answers to questions when they come up.

There were a few things that the team talked about: logistics of who is going to clean out what room and when; how to make decisions on what goes into which above category and where to store the items once the decision is made, asking our AA, GA, Al-anon groups to meet in different rooms because we will be using the larger meeting rooms to store items until the Silent Auction and Open house; possible request of item forms; having a meeting with the Holy Things Committee to make clear what is a Holy Thing and what is general property; and they chose a chair person for the team. They are doing a few small things this week and having another meeting next Saturday.

I think once this team really starts working it is really going to feel like we are closing and the building is for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment