Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Special Congregational Meeting to Close the Church: Ballot, Agenda, Discussion

The photo on the right is the packet that voting members got after they signed in for the meeting. This was very, very different than they ever ran a meeting before. It was beyond formal.

After people got their coffee and started to sit I walked around with a box full of white envelopes with these three sheets of paper in them (and a church pen). I had each person sign their name on the "Voting Member List" and they were given a voting packet and a copy of the resolution.

Before the meeting started the packet was explained by the Council President. My Council President did an amazing job by the way. She explained that the blue ballot was for the actual vote. That if you vote yes you are voting to close the congregation and everything else in the resolution. If you vote no you are voting to not close the church and against everything in the resolution. She said to keep the paper in the envelope because we are not voting now and to pull it out when she tells us to. She then explained the procedure for the discussion:
1) Speak to the Resolution, any topics that are not directly to the resolution will be called out of order
2) There is a 2 minute speaking limit
3) Raise the red or green sheets in the air if you wish to speak. The president will call alternate speakers, in favor of the resolution and against the resolution. Raise the green paper if you are in favor of the resolution and the red on if you are against the resolution.
4) There is a two time speaking limit per motion

After it was explained she called the meeting to order. We read the agenda, approved it, then we prayed and started the meeting.

The agenda:
I. Call Meeting To Order
II. Aprove Agenda
II. Pray
IV. Appoint Trustees (to count the ballots)
V. Reading the Resolution
VI. Questions about the resolution (not discussion)
VII. Move the Resolution Presented by the Council
VIII. Discussion (as outlined above)
IX. Vote
X. ResultsGiven
XI. Lords Prayer
XII. Adjourn

A very simple agenda. The meeting went amazingly well. I think the fact that it was set up so formal and the tone of the meeting was set right at the beginning made for the difference. Expectations were explained, respect was given and everything was made very clear. There was also time allowed for people to ask questions.

As we started to move down the agenda the mood of the meeting got more tense. The Council President got chocked up as she read the resolution. She did a great job answering the questions and the people did a great job just asking questions and not bringing up discussion points. The discussion went very well. 3 people spoke. One in favor (but she spoke twice) and two against. No finger pointing, no anger - just facts and personal feelings.

Then, the president called the vote after no other hands were raised for discussion. People pulled out the blue ballots and voted. They folded the ballots and handed them into the trustees. As the trustees went into the back of the room to count the ballots the air was tense. I noticed my hands were shaking. Then the council President did a wonderful thing and asked if we could all sing Jesus Loves Me as we wait. We sang and that opened the floor to share stories, we figured out exactly who the congregations 8 called pastors were, we shared a memory or two. Then, the trustees came back with the results, they were given to the president. My husband leaned over to whisper (it passed, I can tell by The Presidents expression). I did not want to believe anything until I heard her say the words. She was very formal and gave the number results, then she broke down and said, "The Resolution Passed".

The tears started to flow. People that voted in favor of the resolution were crying, people that voted against it were crying. It was a hard moment. The president gave everyone a moment to have a reaction then asked everyone to stand and say the Lord's Prayer together.  Everyone stood, some held hands, the president went to stand next to one of our longest members - her family name is in the founding documents - and we just looked at each other. I don't think people knew what to do next. I started by saying, "Our Father..." and every one joined in.

Then the meeting was adjourned. After we adjourned some people lingered and gave hugs, some people left right away. I stayed to the very end. I felt awful. I said I was sorry over and over, I felt like it was my doing. People thanked me for my leadership, some asked what happens next. After about 20 minutes the last person left the meeting room. I went and erased the agenda from the dry erase broad and turned off the lights.


No comments:

Post a Comment