The week after the vote to close the congregation I went to the pastor text study. This is where some of the pastors in the area get together on a Tuesday morning to talk about the text we will preach on the next Sunday. Our group also uses some of the time to talk about our congregations or they synod or what ever it may be that we need to talk about. It's probably needless to say that we talked about my congregation a bit that Tuesday. Sitting next to me was a pastor that has been immensely helpful to me over the past few months. She walked with a congregation through closing its doors about two years ago. She had given me tips, helped with some of the legal stuff, and is helping me connect with my feelings through the process.
If you are going through this process, find someone like this. She has been a blessing to me in so many ways.
One question I had for her while we were talking about the vote was, what was worship like the week after the vote? I was really kind of concerned about this. I didn't know if I should change the service a bit - maybe add a healing service into the regular worship. Her response was that attendance was very low and emotions were kind of flat.
This is what I was expecting. I kind of thought the same thing before I even spoke to her and she confirmed my feelings - that attendance would be low and that people wouldn't really want to talk about the closing.
Sunday came and we had over 30 people in worship. I was floored. I wrote a simple and rather short sermon, I only had one communion hymn and I just mentally prepared myself for my expectations. Even my assisting minister commented on how many people were in worship and that he expected about 15 people this week.
And, people talked about the close. There were questions asked, non-members that are very active but did not stay for the meeting asked how the meeting went, ideas for events were shared. It was actually a nice service and time after the service. I was glad to be plesently surprised.
No comments:
Post a Comment